HELLO STUDIO

My working rhythm...wonky at the best of times, evaporates during the festive season. An entire train of thought, mindset, or mood turns into smoke and gently fades into nowhere. It's quite worrisome but experience tells me that eventually all falls into place. It had better because I have a very busy 2017 lined up.

I've managed to drift in and out of my studio for short periods but haven't been able to really focus due to holiday priorities such as gift buying and fudge making. I mostly start a few things or experiment with techniques that I think might work for a new piece. Goofing around is extremely valuable for creativity in the long run. 

Artist friends and I are planning group events. It's invigorating to exchange ideas and to learn from one another. Artmaking is generally a solitary activity but working on collective projects contributes to everyone's personal growth.

I had a look at my inventory of completed works for 2016 and found that my list was a bit flimsy in comparison to previous years. "Why?" I wondered, but in a flash it came to me. I worked on unusual projects during the year.

Tina Struthers and I created the permanent installation "Envol Vers l'Avenir" for the Tourist Office in Île-Perrot and after that, I spent a couple of months creating an artist book for the "Irresistible Forces" show. Each page was a work in itself, intensely time consuming. I learned a lot from both projects. Working in 3-D for the installation was a thrilling eye-opener while creating a funky book presented other new challenges. 

Here's a quickie video of "The Devil and My Artist Book". 





Some older works are still piled up on the floor waiting to be finished. I managed to complete two drawings that I had started many moons ago, mixed media Girdle Ghosts and Sacred Talons.


Girdle Ghosts

Sacred Talons

I keep reading articles about how dreadful 2016 was and how the world can expect a repeat performance in 2017. Who knows what lies ahead? In my mind's eye I see a famous photo of Henri Matisse holding a long pole attached to a paintbrush which allowed him to paint on paper that was pinned to his ceilings and walls. Although broken by ill health, he still managed to create electrifying imagery. I think I'll print up that image and hang it on my studio wall.  It's better than reading the news.

Comments