DUST AND DISCOVERY

The abode is still a shambles due to continuing home improvements. Dust lies everywhere and things are strewn about higgledy-piggledy.  I don't have access to my usual workspace so in the spirit of "gotta-work-no-matter-what", I set myself up at the kitchen table last night to create a small work.  

I wanted to prepare a piece for Monika Mori's Turquoise International Mail-Art-Project. I printed up an image the day before but wasn't entirely satisfied with the results. I was apprehensive about sending a printed postcard to Austria and instead decided to create a one-of-a-kind painted work. I didn't know whether my wonderfully decadent, thick, hot press paper would withstand an application of acrylics but it surprised me by accepting the water-based medium extremely well. The process was a great learning experience.  

I started out with this image on my monitor.... 


...but the initial printed version on matte paper was extremely washed out. It nevertheless unveiled unexpected shapes and lovely lilac stains.  

My studio has full spectrum lights but the kitchen is lit with incandescent bulbs.  I let a warm artificial beam affect my colour choices. 



I applied both heavy body and liquid acrylic paint to the image, in some areas thick and opaque and elsewhere, extremely diluted.  My new printer uses dyes rather than inks.  To my surprise, these didn't blend with the acrylic paint.  Dyes it seems, merge with the paper.

I ended up with this.



Both versions are interesting for different reasons. Colours are hot, intense and excite me more in the digital interpretation. The tiny painting reveals a softer side that emphasizes cooler blues in line with the theme "Turquoise".  I'm tempted to paint a larger version of this image on canvas but dust, clutter and the workman must disappear before I attempt anything on a grander scale.

Away she flies!  May the post office goddess protect this wee artwork as it crosses the big pond!

UPDATE:  The postcard arrived in Austria.  It got there way more quickly than any mail I have sent to the U.S. in the past.  Bizarre.  Here's what it looks like online.  

Comments