A NEW YEAR'S REVOLUTION

Yes, it's 2024 and let's face it, one digit doesn't really change anything in one's life, but what it does do is give us the incentive to try.

I'm not crazy about the word resolution. It's a bit too cast in stone for me. There are a number of definitions, most of them I equate with stubbornness rather than resolve. The former is not always a bad thing, just aggravating when one is on the receiving end.

I like the medical definition: the reduction or disappearance of a swelling or inflammation without suppuration. I must admit I had to look up the last word. After I did, I wish I hadn’t but then it got me thinking.

2023 was a rather difficult year. There was a great deal of metaphorical suppuration in the air. I was totally stressed out for most of it for a number of reasons, some good, some bad. I dealt with my frustrations and anxiety by making art, although if truth be told, when things run amok, making art usually becomes impossible.

As I mull over the past, which I rarely tend to do, I reflect on how important it is not to know what will happen in the future. I don’t want to rain on any fortune teller’s source of income but come on! Who wants to know ahead of time that some personal disaster is waiting in the wings?

I was all positive on December 31st, January 1st and January 2nd. Because those days were rather low key, I managed to prepare an art submission that I sent out way ahead of the deadline. I thought YAY! I have everything under control ! I can do this, that, and make way more art! But by January 3rd my “can dos” flew out the window.

Which leads me to this pulpit where I choose to share a bit of homespun and trite philosophy. Never anticipate anything. One need only look at the needless wars in the world to know that existing at all is a roll of the dice. Plan, try, prepare, but realize that you will never have control over much of what happens in life. Once that’s internalized then perhaps a person can relax and mutter, “Oh well, that’s beyond my control!” 

Voting isn’t though (beyond your control that is). Please vote!

The third finger of my right hand has decided to become very arthritic since the start of the new year but I’m going to use it anyway, and being the eternal optimist, I'll pretend it’s going through a growth phase. 



My New Year’s Revolution? My coup d’état? 2024 will be a year of wild abandon. To hell with trying to control what happens in life. 

I choose to breathe. Happy 2024!

Comments