REFLECTIONS OF A BABY BOOMER


Like nearly all of us, I'm self-isolating. 

It's difficult to psychologically manage what is going on in the world. We are no longer in control, not that we ever were but humanity doesn't like to abandon its illusions. Although our lives are always hanging by a thread, the reality of our fragility and vulnerability is unequivocally clear during the pandemic. Like many artists, I'm conscious that my life on this planet is delicate, like a piece of lace that one can see through. It's beautiful but full of holes.

I try not to take things for granted.

Images of our harried front line workers who signed up to help those in need are devastating. I'm sure most of them never anticipated working under these conditions.

I left my day job five years ago. For close to ten years, I counselled professionals who were out of work. I occasionally met with doctors who were qualified practitioners in their native countries but unable to work as such after immigrating to Canada. Many tried to qualify and failed. I wager a great many Canadian doctors wouldn't pass these types of tests after years of practice. Others managed to qualify but couldn't access required residencies in hospitals, and others after jumping through all the hoops still didn't get jobs. My frustration was nothing in comparison to theirs. I recall someone who worked as an obstetrician in her country of origin for over 25 years but couldn't deliver babies here.

Clearly medical professionals should be tested and trained to upgrade their skills when they come to Canada but I sense that they face more barriers than opportunities, and sadly, jobless doctors, scientists and those who possess other pertinent expertise are greatly needed in our society. It is blatantly obvious in these times of crisis that we are wasting precious human resources. 

Most of us are unable to make important medical contributions. Creative types are out there making fascinating face masks (funny how face coverings are suddenly "in"), creating new music, entertaining with humour or making visual art to either spur introspection, beautify our daily dose of social media, or point out absurdities that plague our lifestyle choices and expectations. As an artsy fartsy Baby Boomer who does the latter, I sure hope I will be able to hang around for a long while longer despite the hashtags.

Comments