RELEASED FROM THE SHADOWS

The murphy bed in what we call "the green room" (technically the guest bedroom) isn't visible because a large painting in front of it hides stretchers, empty frames and large drawings sandwiched between a number of corrugated plastic sheets held together with bulldog clips. When company comes, moving things about to lower the bed is a bit of a production but I always think the solution is brilliant when space is at a premium.

What a clever design! The only obvious flaw is that the pillows have a tendency to slip down between the mattress and the frame making it impossible to rest against the wall to read. Otherwise, it's incredibly efficient with narrow shelving above the bed to hold reading glasses, hand cream, a couple of Kindles and rolled up socks. Lights are built in at the top of the frame and the switch is conveniently located in the middle, at the same height as our resting heads. 

The green room generally contains the trappings of my office and doesn't have curtains. Early in the morning, lovely things happen as the light creeps in. The house is surrounded by trees and shadows begin a dance of branching patterns across the walls. 

At one point during the holidays, we had to use the murphy bed. One morning I was so excited by what I saw that I jumped out of bed, grabbed my cellphone and took a few pictures. I was initially disappointed by the results. The ephemeral choreography was far better from a prone position. 

While skimming through my pictures a few days later, the patterns seemed more interesting. I flipped them into my iPad and loaded one of the images into the Procreate app. Like a kid, I still have the "seeing beasts in the puffy clouds" thing happening. No matter what I look at, shapes and patterns tend to morph into other things in my mind's eye. 


Forty years of model drawing tends to affect a person. A figure begged to be released from the shadow patterns. Here she is along with a short video of the process. Enjoy!





Comments