LIKE GIVING BIRTH



The exhibition is doing its thing, just hanging. 



Funny how after extended periods of production, my psyche crashes. A tiredness quietly creeps through my veins, and like an unwelcome visitor, refuses to leave. Preparing for an exhibition and the opening is like giving birth.

I have ideas but my energy level is low. A pink rabbit banging a large drum would be great just about now, but I know it's not going to happen. A subliminal debriefing has to happen after a period of creativity.  The slate must be wiped clean to determine what the next plan of action or area of research will be.

I feel as though I am on the cusp of a new breakthrough however my mind wants to reboot before I can again produce at full fire.  

Incubation is a necessary and valuable part of the creative process. Engaging the subconscious mind helps resolve important preoccupations. The analogy goes something like this: 

If an individual is always consciously thinking about a problem, the brain becomes like a phone that is continuously in use. If the subconscious mind wants to contribute input, or better still, a solution to the problem, it can't get through because the line is always busy. Doing totally unrelated and relaxing activities in order to temporarily forget about the issue at hand is magical, because it allows new ideas that are simmering on the back burner to surface, and these lead to those light bulb moments of brilliance and inspiration. The line is now free.

When I taught creativity techniques, I used to touch on the importance of taking some time to incubate, but this came back to haunt me time and again. I would greet my students in the hallways and ask how their projects were coming along. Invariably, the answer was "I'm still incubating Miss!"  

Sometimes it's hard to get going again. One has to hunt for and find the Energizer Bunny within to soar in living colour. Mind you, after incubation, the flight might be better in black and white.


Comments